Wednesday, November 28, 2007

How Far South Will We Go?

The journey, for me, started mid-October 2007. I left Ottawa (Canada) for Red River Gorge, Kentucky in my VW Camper 1999. However, when I got there, the weather was so bad, I did not even stop, I kept driving South… all the way to Hildalgo, Mexico for the “grande Potrero Chico”.

I like Potrero, but my destination is Costa Rica. I want to cross Central America with my VW. Yes it’s adventurous, but I have traveled many other foreign countries before. With some luck and awareness, such a journey can be so rewarding.

Now, I have been at Potrero for one month, saw many climbers coming and going. Potrero is Mexico’s biggest rock climbing spot. Here, you don’t need to know any Spanish. Here, climbers are from all over the world; we communicate in English. We are 3 hours away from USA, lots of locals speak good English.

I am waiting for my German friend Thomas, who after 18 years working in California, retired last week at age 49. He has never been to Mexico. I will pick him up at the Monterrey airport next week. I wonder, if he will like Mexico; how far south we are going to go… or if we will end up on a calm Pacific island.

No comments: